Canoe Race and Float
820 E 67th St, Indianapolis, IN 46220, USA
CANOE/KAYAK RACE & RECREATIONAL CANOE FLOAT!!
Indy Sunrise Optimist is hosting the Annual White River Canoe Float, as well as the Inaugural (as far as we know) White River Canoe & Kayak Race on Saturday, September 12, 2020.
- The start for both Race and Float is at the White River launch ramp adjacent to the Indianapolis Art Center, 820 E. 67th St, Indpls, IN.
- Parking is available in the Art Center parking lots.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: Because of Covid-19 there will be NO SHUTTLE SERVICE from take out back to Art Center. See “COVID-19 PROTOCOL” #2, a-c.
- For those of you employing the classic two vehicle strategy to return to the Art Center from the Lake Indy Race Finish Line and Long Float take out parking is available at Riverside Park Community Center, 2420 East Riverside Drive (visible from N White River Parkway, East Drive; Driveway to parking lots is 1/10 mile south of Lake Indy Launch Ramp curb cut). Limited parking is available at the Lake Indy Launch Ramp, 2610 N White River Parkway, East Drive. In Rocky Ripple parking is available at the Town Hall, 930 W. 54th St.
- COVID-19 PROTOCOL WILL BE OBSERVED.
- ALL NET PROCEEDS DONATED TO CHILDREN’S SERVICE NON-PROFITS IN MARION CO.
The race has been cancelled for this year.
1. Paddlers must register online for float. Launch time slots must be reserved during online registration. Launch slots are from 9am - 1pm. Day of event online registration allowed pending available launch time slots.
2. Participants must be 5 years old or older.
3. Take a leisurely float down the White River, launching from the Indianapolis Art Center, Broad Ripple. Take out at Rocky Ripple Town Hall (3+ miles) or Lake Indy (7+ miles)
4. Canoe is provided with your paid fee.
5. $30 per canoe + $3 for each paddle + $3 for each PFD. We strongly encourage you to bring your own paddle(s) and PFD(s)..
All 2020 outdoor events are different than previous years due to COVID 19.
Here are the major changes in our event’s operation that better assure your safety as participants and the safety of those who are operating the event.
1. Racers and Floaters: Every paddler and passenger must wear a mask until you are a safe distance from volunteers at the rivers edge. Once you’ve landed at take-out masks should be put on again. Please practice social distancing from other boat crews of at least 6 feet.
2. This year we WILL NOT be providing shuttle transportation from take out at Lake Indy Launch Ramp (2610 N White River Parkway East Drive, Indpls, IN or Rocky Ripple Town Hall (930 W. 54th St, Indianapolis, IN) back to the Art Center, so please plan accordingly.
a. There is an Indy Bike Share Station near Riverside Park - https://www.pacersbikeshare.org/station-map Bike trails can get you to College Avenue and Westfield Blvd. At College you may ride north on sidewalks to get to the Art Center on 67th.
b. other transportation options available in the city include Uber and Lyft
c. If employing a two vehicle strategy, leaving one vehicle at take out and one at the Art Center start, there is ample parking at the Rocky Ripple Town Hall, or at the Riverside Park Community Center which is a short walk from the Lake Indy Launch Ramp take out. Limited Parking exists at the Lake Indy Launch Ramp.
3. Volunteers will be at both take-out locations to keep an eye on your watercraft until you return for it; however, volunteers are NOT responsible for any damage or loss that could occur.
4. No in person FLOAT registration. All registration and signing of waivers must be completed online.
5. No day of event RACE registration. Note Sept 10, 2020 before 12:00 noon deadline for online race registration.
6. Each race entrant will receive an assigned launch time when registering online. Racers are expected to have their watercraft ready to stage a minimum of 15 minutes before their assigned launch time.
7. Each Float participant will also receive an assigned launch time when registering online. Float participants are expected to have their participants on site and ready to stage 15 minute before their assigned launch time.
8. PLEASE ARRIVE 15-20 MINUTES BEFORE YOUR ASSIGNED TIME SLOT TO DECREASE CONGREGATING AND CROWDING DURING STAGING.
9. Upon your arrival at the Art Center staging area you will be guided by volunteers who will see that you get through a series of checkpoints to ultimately find yourselves, your watercraft, and equipment at the edge of the shore, ready to launch.
10. Though we will attempt to accommodate late arrivals, we may not have launch time slots available and you may not be able to race or float. Refunds will not be made.
11. We are under no misconception that our outdoor paddling events are immune from cancellation by things beyond our control, including government fiat due to COVID-19 or dangerously high water. We’ll do our best to keep you safe while having a great experience.
12. Thank you for helping Sunrise Optimists generate funds for donation to kid-oriented non-profits that are struggling to deliver support for Indy’s most vulnerable. We truly appreciate your generosity and participation!!